Our Favorite Recipes: Crockpot Sausage and Peppers
Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers is the easy, healthy, make-ahead dinner that is perfect for a cold night!
Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 1/2 pounds Italian turkey sausage links uncooked, in their casing, cut into thirds (sweet or spicy both work here, depending upon your preference)
- 1 large yellow onion halved and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes plus additional to taste
- 1/4 cup dry red or white wine or swap additional low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large red, yellow, or orange bell pepper cored and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large green bell pepper cored and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Lightly coat a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. Heat a large skillet over medium high. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil. Once the oil is hot, add half of the sausages in a single layer (do not crowd the pan or the sausages will not brown properly). Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on all four sides, or until the outsides are golden brown (the sausages do not need to be cooked all the way through.) Transfer to the slow cooker. Add the next 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and repeat with remaining sausages.
Increase the heat slightly. Add the final 1/2 tablespoon oil, then the onions, 1 tablespoon water, salt, and pepper. Cook until the onions are starting to brown and become tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 1 additional minute, then add the wine. Let cook until the wine evaporates, scraping up any bits that have stuck on to the bottom of the pan. Transfer the onions and any pan juices to the slow cooker with the sausages.
Add the bell peppers and crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 to 3 hours on high, or until sausages are cooked through and tender. (I prefer and recommend the low, long cooking time, as it makes the sausages more tender, but high works if you are in a hurry.) Serve over pasta or inside rolls with provolone cheese on top.
We love sharing our team’s favorite recipes! Want to see more? Click here!
A little more about The Agent Insurance Services…
The Agent Insurance Services is a full-service independent insurance agency. This allows us the ability to offer a full range of protection such as home and auto insurance, commercial insurance, and life insurance to all of our clients. To put it simply, we make sure our clients have the same coverages we have. Why would you want anything less? Our exceptional team of “Protection Advisors” offers professional advice and service you can afford. Please call us and tell us what is important to you. We’ll do the rest.